Friday, December 17, 2004

SMS Khelain...

Awrite, here I am... It has been one whole week that I sat in my new office. I shouldnt be writing this from here, after all I have much more important work to do :P. But since i'm my own new boss, I just thought I would take out some time to promote the current scenario of the mobile industry of Pakistan. It might as well help me launch my first product.

Ok, so I hear 2 more mobile operators popping in our territory making the total service providers in the near future going upto 7(including Paktel TDMA and GSM). So can Pakistan handle the load? Mobilink just cut down its air time charges to Rs4.75/minute (anywhere in Pakistan).
Paktel competes with a 3.75/minute and a Re.1/minute late hours for love birds (Only on local Paktel to Paktel)! Maybe, love really is blind! Who would use Paktel when the Government has taken care of all the needs of those young love birds? They can chat all they want for free on their land line after midnight....and For some reason Ufone still would like to stick with its Rs.5 per minute totally depending on its GPRS service as the competitive advantage.

So if you were Yasir, what would you choose? One happy evening while I was chatting and messaging from my Mobilink connection that I had kept for around 3 years now. As I walked through the Mobile Market, next to regal at Saddar - Karachi, i came accross this sign board "Ufone connection only Rs.99 ($1.5)". Tng Tng.. Tick Tick...CLICK CLICK yes GPRS clicked! i did not wait, knowing I would have GPRS access at Rs.15/MB (i had yet to buy some eye candy mobile set to impress the chicks :P), International SMS at Rs.1.5/minute (0.025 cents) and not to forget the 50 free SMS with every connection. Was it worth it? Oh boy was I excited! But now with this busy network, am I dissapointed. I remember, everyone getting Rs.30 for free credited to their Mobilink numbers as the government fined it for its busy network and down times... So where is the government now? Ooops, i forgot, i'm sorry... my fault :P... Ufone is a government owned subsidery and we live in this "Pak" istan... The land of the purest (lies)


And here, Instaphone; once said to be taking a major major share of the market, now seems to be dissapearing from the market altogether... Just now, I checked my phone book... Where were all my Insta friends?? I was shocked to note, I only had 1 insta number in my 250+ phone list! I have not seen any Insta hosted IM shows on Indus Music lately nor have I seen any new advertisments comming from them. Still, the market remains very much fruitful? Why did it run away? Maybe because the owner of Insta also owns Paktel, and handling half of the Mobile companies of Pakistan seemed too much to handle (btw I wouldnt mind, if someone asked me to handle Insta)


The next news is, Mobilink is shifting to 1800Mhz from 900Mhz previously allotted... I figure, it is doing this so it may get a bigger band from PTA to start GPRS... Plus they need their custommers to get new SIM cards in order to go ahead with their GPRS launch... People seem to be ignoring this when they run after that JAZZ... which may later sound like ZAAAPP!...

(to be continued)

1 Comments:

Blogger zen said...

Nice post.When are you going to complete it?

12/29/2004 11:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home